Obviously getting a manicure wasn't the only thing my friend and I did in London last weekend. Our first day in my favourite city ever was actually quite long and busy. We had booked a super early flight so when we arrived in our hotel our rooms weren't ready yet, so we decided to be the first ones in the shops in Oxford street. We started off with Topshop, the only shop I die to enter whenever I'm in London. Around 1pm we stopped shopping and had lunch at an Ask Italian restaurant in the street where our hotel was and so we were able to check in around 2pm. We continued with some more shopping on Oxford street and before heading to Cheeky for our manicure, we quickly visited Selfridges (which was on my to do list) and Victoria's Secret (which was on my friend's to do list). At Selfridges we got a lovely beauty products consulting and a fresh makeup such as some samples and lavender seeds to plant (how cool is that?). After our manicure we were lucky enough to have a Byron restaurant right around the corner so we felt reinvigorated to head to that day's last stop: Piccadilly Circus, where we went to Cool Britannia and the M&M's world. In order to see which of all these experiences I can recommend read my travel tips below:
LONDON TRAVEL TIPS:
1. If you want a hotel that's strategically well placed look out for something near to the station Holborn. You'll be able to reach all of my favourite spots in London in a few minutes and even walk to Covent Garden. We stayed at the Bedford Hotel which I can recommend to everybody as you'll get a lot of comfort for a good price. Actually it was the second best hotel I ever had in London, the rooms were pretty and clean, the staff was friendly, the WiFi was for free and the breakfast was good, too.
London WC1B 4HD
2. Students should pay extra attention to little signs on the shop windows. At many stores you get 10% off with your student card. I'm quite sad that I only discovered that Topshop is giving this discount when I had already bought my stuff so whenever you aren't sure just ask a shop assistant. Talking about Topshop... did you know that you can get yummy cupcakes from Lola's over there? And that you can get your hair and nails done downstairs?
3. Shopping in Oxford street and its side alleys definitely takes more than one day. If you really want to visit all the interesting shops and even include a visit to Selfridges you should plan at least two days just for that!
4. Selfridges is my favourite department store ever. There is just so much to discover and at the moment they're having a #beautyproject going on. That means lots of consults, free samples and funny booths. Also what I didn't know until our last visit: Selfridges is a true beauty temple where you can get everything done, from hair to toe nails!
5. London has a lot of chain restaurants to offer, which you can find all over the city. Two we tried on our first day are Ask Italian and Byron. I totally adored the set-up and the menu card designs of both restaurants. At Ask Italian I had some pasta with vegetables for 8,95£ and at Byron I had the yummiest chicken burger (with baby spinach) for the same price plus additional French fries for 2,95£. If you want to save money while eating out, don't forget to ask for a pitcher of free piped water! Oh and if you're tired and rather prefer eating in your hotel room you can also do takeaway at Byron.
6. Still haven't found any souvenirs? At Cool Britannia you'll probably make a find. However it's always wise to wait with your souvenir shopping and compare the prices at street booths as well. Another great place for souvenirs is the M&M's world near Piccadilly Circus. The good thing: both shops are open until midnight.
7. An Oyster card will be your best friend in London. We just paid 20£ for all our Underground journeys and the rides from the airport to the city and back to the airport.
8. If you really want to save money on beauty products you won't want to miss out on a Boots store. At the moment (if not always?) they are having super amazing 3 for 2 deals which made me save 5,99£ on my favourite makeup!
For more tips and pictures, stay tuned for my next London travel post or check out my older London posts here and here.
What do you guys love to do when in London? Do you have any insiders' tips to share with us?