1. Stay away from Asian wholesale companies! After you read Kristiana's post this doesn't need any explaining.
2. Make sure the cooperating brand is interested in your blog. The brand will for example go into a post you wrote recently or tell you why they like your blog (no average compliments!). At least they will know your name and also address you with your name.
3. You're being contacted by a brand that has been cooperating with any other blogger you know? That is never a good sign because they go for quantity instead of quality. (Yes I'm talking about a certain "online optical store" I have been cooperating with as well...)
4. Check were the brand is situated. Why should an Asian brand with no agency in Europe want to work with me? Some of the best cooperations I've been doing were really local ones.
5. If you want serious brands to work with you, you will have to provide them with serious information about your blog. You can either put some stats in your "about" page or build up a media kit. Also make sure your e-mail address can easily be found on your blog.
6. Learn how to say no. Even if it is a serious local brand that wants to work with you - if you don't like their clothes or products why should you say yes?! Also if you only find out you don't like a product after you got it, you can tell your readers! A serious brand indeed wants to hear what you think and not only the positive bla bla.
7. Sometimes brands don't want you to write a review about one of their products but simply write a post about them from nowhere. Why again should you do this? (Unless you have known and loved the brand before).
8. If I write something about a brand I want to be able to write what I think and stay true to my own words. If a brand wants you to include 5 dofollow links with the most awkward key words... stay away from it!
9. Make sure everything is being clarified before the actual beginning of the cooperation. This is especially important when you do sponsored giveaways. For example have you already agreed on who of you ships the prize?
10. The best way to cooperate is to do so with brands you love. However not every brand will be able to find you so why not contact some of your favourite brands on your own? Try to make the cooperation as palatable as possible. You can only win!
Okay, this post turned out way longer than I have thought but I find it important to be said as wrong cooperations can really spoil blogging! Please tell me about your cooperation experiences. Are there brands you would never work with again? Or have you had really lovely and positive cooperations before?