We all heard about scandals in the fashion industry regarding the use of toxic chemicals, child labour or overworked and underpaid employees in Third World Countries and others. Often it's hard to know what to do against these bad conditions and how to protect ourselves and others. There are a lot of big brands we trust in and as long as their clothes are cheap we're happy but often we don't think about what these prices imply. However the price isn't necessarily the only reference point because most probably your designer jeans has been fabricated with toxic chemicals as well. With this post I don't want to force you to go totally green (because I'm far away from it myself) but there are some things all of us can do that aren't even that hard!
1. Buy clothes that have a good quality so you can be sure you'll wear them as long as possible.
2. Make sure to recycle your old clothes, for example by bringing them back to your local H&M or upgrading them yourself.
3. Pay a little attention to what you hear about several brands and try not to support the really bad boys.
4. Shop at thrift stores or flea markets more often.
5. Even though you probably think they are super cool, try not to buy distressed jeans, they are absolutely bad for the health of the factory workers.
6. Buy more sustainable, fair trade clothes made from organic cotton. Here are some of the places where to shop nice sustainable fashion:
Asos has "a range of environmentally friendly textiles and supports fair trade principles and traditional craftsmanship". Read more about it here.
It seems like H&M wants to do more and more to support sustainable fashion and besides their garment collecting, they also launch conscious collections regularly and use more and more organic cotton.
This is a brand I only discovered recently and I think their clothes are really cute. They are absolutely ecology-minded and probably do anything you can do to support fair fashion.
What do you guys do to make fashion industry a better trade? Do you know other gorgeous fair trade fashion labels?