Off to the next stop in Italy: Venice. I've been there twice so far and would go back at any time. What I really like about this city is that you have beach holidays and city trip altogether.
My tips for your trip to Venice:
- If you have the possibility, go there by train. Arriving at the station is easier if you don't know the city and you won't have to include the long bus ride from the airport.
- A day trip to the Lido beach is a must. It´s really easy to get there and the beach is huge.
- So far I only had quite dark hotel rooms with small windows so make sure you get a hotel room with a nice view.
- The piazza San Marco is the centrepiece of the city and there's no possibility to miss it out. As far as I know you can even climb the St Mark's Campanile to get an amazing view over the city.
- Gondola rides are pretty expensive so if you want to do one make sure to take some extra money.
- Unfortunately I don't remember any good restaurants but there was an Asian snack bar and they had the best cocktails for really good prices. It was somewhere on that promenade between Piazza San Marco and the Giardini (I know this is pretty vague but maybe you'll find it anyway).
Have you been to Venice so far or do you prefer other Italian cities? Has any of you been there around carnival time? Other travel tips are welcome!