It may still be snowing in some countries but spring is near nevertheless. Therefore it is the perfect time for some spring-cleaning and this also applies to your wardrobe. Today I took the time to see through all of my clothes (from socks to evening dresses) and while I sorted out those clothes I will not wear anymore, I also reorganized the remaining stuff. This may be a great fun (depending on how good you are at saying goodbye to your old clothes) but most of all it's really helpful as you will see what clothes you actually have and what you still need to make your wardrobe complete for next summer. Sometimes it even happens to me that I find back clothes I had totally forgotten about... I will now start off with some notes on what you should actually sort out and then I will give you some tips on how to organize the remaining clothes.
1. Sorting old clothes can be really hard and if you are unsure about what you will be wearing in the future and what not you should simply sort out everything you haven't worn in one year.2. If you don't manage to separate from your old clothes completely you could first put them in a box for some time and when you start forgetting about the stuff you can give it away.
3. If you feel bad about the wasted money you can try to sell those clothes that still look okay.
4. When your wardrobe holds 3 or more clothes that look almost the same or than can only be worn on special occasions you should stop buying those. My weakness are elegant skirts and dresses but why should I have like 10 party outfits when I only go to parties once in a while? The same goes for basics like blue jeans and white tops, I mean you can't wear more than 3 or 4 per week without looking the same all day so why should you want to have more than that?
5. Let's be honest, the pants that are too small now will probably also be next year, right? Keeping this stuff that doesn't fit you anymore is nothing but frustrating so please get rid of it!
6. When it comes to reorganizing your clothes you first need to know how to sort them. Either you put them together by colours or by their type (shirts with shirts, blouses with blouses,...). I sorted the clothes on the coat-hangers by colours (rainbow style) and the clothes in my other closet by type (because it isn't too easy putting a blouse over a wool sweater over a tank top over a jacket,...).
7. If you saw that there are some clothes you totally forgot about you can put them on top of your clothing piles. Like this they will be the first thing you see when you next choose your outfit and you will be more likely to wear them.
8. Use one coat-hanger per garment. You will not see and thus not wear the blouse that hangs under the blouse under the jacket!
9. Using the very same coat-hangers doesn't only look prettier but also gives you a better overview because all the clothes will hang on the same level.
10. If you don't have much space for your stuff you can either put the seasonal pieces in boxes and store them elsewhere or you can buy an additional clothes rail. You can get really pretty clothes rails for little money and they don't take much space in your room.
As you can see in the pictures my wardrobe only looked a little bit better afterwards. The reason is that I simply can't let my clothes off (I tend to be a little messy when it comes to throwing away stuff). I even found myself taking back my old clothes from the boxes and putting them back in my closet ("I could wear this again, it still doesn't look that bad after all..."). Therefore please consider my last and most important tip: If you sorted something out, you did this for a very good reason. You will not wear this again, like ever! (There are very few exceptions to this rule though... haha.)
I hope this was helpful and please tell me your closet reorganization tips! When did you last get an overview on what actually hangs in your closet?